Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to have a referral for treatment at your office?
For most insurances, referrals are not necessary. If you contact us, we will let you know if a referral is required. | Back to top |

What types of pain do you treat?
We see and treat virtually all types of pain conditions, both acute and chronic. A lot of therapies are responsive to injection or interventional therapy and some are not. We use both interventional therapies when appropriate and medication therapy as well. | Back to top |

What is chronic pain?
Any pain pattern that has been in existence for three to six months is considered chronic. Such conditions may require life long therapy and treatment. | Back to top |

What is acute pain?
Acute pain may refer to any pain that starts suddenly – usually the signal of an injury. Acute pain usually subsides when the injury is treated and/or pain relief is given. | Back to top |

Do you take all insurances?
We currently accept all major insurances except Wellpath. There may be other smaller companies that we are not in network with because of not being familiar with the company. Our staff can take your information and get back with you regarding any insurance questions. | Back to top |

Can I become paralyzed by an injection in my spine?
Any injection in or near the spine carries risk of bleeding, injection or nerve damage. Using fluoroscopic (X-ray) guidance does give assistance in the injection with accuracy, which we do use it for most all injections. Dr. Wilson has been performing epidurals for over 30 years and has specialty training with board certification in both anesthesiology and pain medicine by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Although the risk is minimal, all patients need to be informed of the potential risk and we will be happy to speak with you regarding this with the injection therapy that would be required to treat you. | Back to top |

Will I be sedated for my procedure?
For the majority of injection procedures, it is not necessary for you to be sedated. When a more complex procedure is planned, we can and do offer intravenous sedation along with the normal monitoring procedures. | Back to top |

Why can’t I eat or drink before my planned procedure?
In very rare circumstances, allergic or untoward reactions can occur with some procedures. In such an emergency, it is important for you to have an empty stomach. For that reason, we ask that you not eat solid food or drink any milk products for 6 hours ahead of the visit. You may drink clear liquids until 2 hours before your visit for procedures. For the last 2 hours before you come in for a procedure, we ask that you have nothing by mouth. | Back to top |


Why can’t I drive after my procedure?
Because some of the spinal injections can cause arm or leg numbness or heaviness, we ask that you don’t drive until the next day after the procedure. The ability to control your arms or legs may be impaired by the procedure and we ask that you take that precaution. | Back to top |

What happens if I can’t make my scheduled appointment?
The clinic policy is for you to give 24-hour notice if you cannot make your appointment as scheduled. We will gladly reschedule you for another time. If you do not call and cancel the appointment, you will be subject to a “no-show” fee due at the time of your next appointment.
| Back to top |

What if I don’t have insurance?
We do see patients that do not have insurance, but payment is due at the time of service. Again, we do offer financial agreements and payment plans for those situations that arise. | Back to top |

What is a pain medicine physician?
A pain medicine physician is an individual who has graduated from an accredited medical school and received post graduate training in the treatment of acute and chronic pain conditions. Some training programs center on mainly medical maintenance of pain and others emphasize only injection therapy. Dr. Wilson’s training emphasized both methodologies.

What is a Physician Assistant (PA)?
Physician assistants (PA’s) are highly trained, medical professionals who have completed a rigorous academic and clinical curriculum to practice medicine supervised by a licensed physician. PA’s conduct a broad range of medical and diagnostic functions that have traditionally been performed by both primary care and specialty care physicians. They frequently provide examinations, treatment and counseling. Certified physician assistants (PA-C) have graduated from a masters degree program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) and also pass the Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE).

What type of technology is used to diagnose and treat pain conditions?
Although definitive diagnosis of painful conditions can be assisted by different types of radiographic studies, often a good history and physical exam will focus in on a probable diagnosis. Dr. Wilson will utilize whatever means are necessary based upon your presenting symptoms.

Someone is always on call for Piedmont Interventional Pain Care through Rowan Regional Medical Center. To reach the provider on call, please contact the hospital at 704-210-5000. If you feel that your situation is more urgent and may need immediate medical attention, you should go directly to your local emergency room.